Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tomorrow.

The fascinating part about tomorrow is that I'm pretty sure it's the day I become an adult.

The day I stop drinking milk out of the carton and putting it back in the fridge before anyone notices. The day I stop borrowing Q-tips from my roommate because I've run out and I know he always has backups. The day I stop opening the dishwasher, grabbing the cup I want out of all the clean dishes, but not unloading the whole bin. 

The day I stop having roommates and move in with someone for the first time... and it's just us.

Which, I swear, is honestly the least of my worries. When it comes to Josh and I... I harbor absolutely no insecurities. No concerns that we're going to get on each others nerves or that he's going to leave me. Or that I notice he squeezes the toothpaste from the wrong direction so I call it quits. No, with him I'm all in.

But instead of doing that whole renting an apartment together thing... he bought a house. A house where I'm his first (and hopefully only) tenant. We're signing a lease (as I have no legal rights to anything in this situation... i.e. vows or a ring), combining all our furniture and art, and trying to figure out a balance. 

For I'm a libra and am constantly seeking balance. (Yes, I'm full of crap and like astrology.)

But this opens up a new chapter to me. Instead of this odd career seeking, opportunistic, self-absorbed, hedonistic, people-be-damned attitude I used to have... I write grocery lists. I think about how long the dog is home by himself during the day, the last time the sheets in the spare room were washed, which dishes I should use when guests come over. I wear aprons, bake at least twice a week, and love the smell of Febreze and fabric softener. And the scariest part: I like taking care of someone. Thus a new Abigail has been born: homemaker.

So this blog is dedicated to my new found housewifery. Trying to finish my book while keeping hospital corners on all the beds. Can I do it? We'll see.

Might have to start drinking the milk out of the carton again.

No comments:

Post a Comment